douxun4173 2010-02-25 14:10 采纳率: 0%
浏览 57
已采纳

您不使用外键的原因? [php + MySQL]

I'm working on an old web application my company uses to create surveys. I looked at the database schema through the mysql command prompt and thought the tables looked pretty solid. Though I'm not a DB guru I'm well versed in the theory behind it (having taken a few database design courses in my software engineering program).

That being said, I dumped the create statements into an SQL file and imported them in MySQL Workbench and saw that they make no use of any "actual" foreign keys. They'll store another table's primary key like you would with a FK but they don't declare it as one.

So seeing how their DB is designed the way I would through what I know (minus the FK issue) I'm left wondering that maybe there's a reason behind it. Is this a case of lazy programming or could you get some performance gains by doing all the error check programmatically?

In case you'd like an example they basically have Surveys and a survey has a series of Questions. A question is part of a survey so it holds it's PK in a column. That's pretty much it but they use it everywhere.

I'd appreciate any insight :) (I understand that this question might not have a right/wrong answer but I'm looking more for some information on why they would do this as this system has been pretty solid ever since we started using it so I'm led to believe that these guys knew what they were doing)

• 写回答

6条回答 默认 最新

• douhuan1380 2010-02-25 14:15
    关注

The original developers might have opted to use MyISAM or any other storage engine that does not support foreign key constraints.

本回答被题主选为最佳回答 , 对您是否有帮助呢?
    评论
查看更多回答(5条)

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥15 matlab有关常微分方程的问题求解决
  • ¥15 perl MISA分析p3_in脚本出错
  • ¥15 k8s部署jupyterlab,jupyterlab保存不了文件
  • ¥15 ubuntu虚拟机打包apk错误
  • ¥199 rust编程架构设计的方案 有偿
  • ¥15 回答4f系统的像差计算
  • ¥15 java如何提取出pdf里的文字?