doubao6936 2018-01-17 08:40
浏览 50
已采纳

纵梁方法需要值

The Go FAQ answers a question regarding the choice of by-value vs. by-pointer receiver definition in methods. One of the statements in that answer is:

If some of the methods of the type must have pointer receivers, the rest should too, so the method set is consistent regardless of how the type is used.

This implies that if I have for a data type a few methods that mutate the data, thus require by-pointer receiver, I should use by-pointer receiver for all the methods defined for that data type.

On the other hand, the "fmt" package invokes the String() method as defined in the Stringer interface by value. If one defines the String() method with a receiver by-pointer it would not be invoked when the associated data type is given as a parameter to fmt.Println (or other fmt formatting methods). This leaves one no choice but to implement the String() method with a receiver by value.

How can one be consistent with the choice of by-value vs. by-pointer, as the FAQ suggests, while fulfilling fmt requirements for the Stringer interface?

EDIT:

In order to emphasize the essence of the problem I mention, consider a case where one has a data type with a set of methods defined with receiver by-value (including String()). Then one wishes to add an additional method that mutates that data type - so he defines it with receiver by-pointer, and (in order to be consistent, per FAQ answer) he also updates all the other methods of that data type to use by-pointer receiver. This change has zero impact on any code that uses the methods of this data type - BUT for invocations of fmt formatting functions (that now require passing a pointer to a variable instead of its value, as before the change). So consistency requirements are only problematic in the context of fmt. The need to adjust the manner one provides a variable to fmt.Println (or similar function) based on the receiver type breaks the capability to easily refactor one's package.

• 写回答

2条回答 默认 最新

• douqiao5440 2018-01-17 11:44
    关注

In order to emphasize the essence of the problem I mention, consider a case where one has a data type with a set of methods defined with receiver by-value (including String()). Then one wishes to add an additional method that mutates that data type - so he defines it with receiver by-pointer, and (in order to be consistent, per FAQ answer) he also updates all the other methods of that data type to use by-pointer receiver. This change has zero impact on any code that uses the methods of this data type - BUT for invocations of fmt formatting functions (that now require passing a pointer to a variable instead of its value, as before the change).

This is not true. All interface of it and some of type assertions will be affected as well - that is why fmt is affected. e.g. :

package main

import (
        "fmt"
    )

type I interface {
        String() string
    }

func (t t) String() string { return "" }

func (p *p) String() string { return "" }

type t struct{}
    type p struct{}

func S(i I) {}

func main() {
        fmt.Println("Hello, playground")
        T := t{}
        P := p{}
        _ = P
        S(T)
        //S(P) //fail
    }

To understand this from the root, you should know that a pointer method and a value method is different from the very base. However, for convenience, like the omit of ;, golang compiler looks for cases using pointer methods without a pointer and change it back.

As explained here: https://tour.golang.org/methods/6

So back to the orignal question: consistency of pointer methods. If you read the faq more carefully, you will find it is the very last part of considering to use a value or pointer methods. And you can find counter-example in standard lib examples, in container/heap :

// A PriorityQueue implements heap.Interface and holds Items.
    type PriorityQueue []*Item

func (pq PriorityQueue) Len() int { return len(pq) }

func (pq PriorityQueue) Less(i, j int) bool {
        // We want Pop to give us the highest, not lowest, priority so we use greater than here.
        return pq[i].priority > pq[j].priority
    }

func (pq PriorityQueue) Swap(i, j int) {
        pq[i], pq[j] = pq[j], pq[i]
        pq[i].index = i
        pq[j].index = j
    }

func (pq *PriorityQueue) Push(x interface{}) {
        n := len(*pq)
        item := x.(*Item)
        item.index = n
        *pq = append(*pq, item)
    }

func (pq *PriorityQueue) Pop() interface{} {
        old := *pq
        n := len(old)
        item := old[n-1]
        item.index = -1 // for safety
        *pq = old[0 : n-1]
        return item
    }

// update modifies the priority and value of an Item in the queue.
    func (pq *PriorityQueue) update(item *Item, value string, priority int) {
        item.value = value
        item.priority = priority
        heap.Fix(pq, item.index)
    }

So, indeed, as the FAQ say, to determine whether to use a pointer methods, take the following consideration in order:

1. Does the method need to modify the receiver? If yes, use a pointer. If not, there should be a good reason or it makes confusion.
    2. Efficiency. If the receiver is large, a big struct for instance, it will be much cheaper to use a pointer receiver. However, efficiency is not easy to discuss. If you think it is an issue, profile and/or benchmark it before doint so.
    3. Consistency. If some of the methods of the type must have pointer receivers, the rest should too, so the method set is consistent regardless of how the type is used. This, to me, means that if the type shall be used as a pointer (e.g., frequent modify), it should use the method set to mark so. It does not mean one type can only have solely pointer methods or the other way around.
    本回答被题主选为最佳回答 , 对您是否有帮助呢?
    评论
查看更多回答(1条)

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥50 导入文件到网吧的电脑并且在重启之后不会被恢复
  • ¥15 (希望可以解决问题)ma和mb文件无法正常打开,打开后是空白,但是有正常内存占用,但可以在打开Maya应用程序后打开场景ma和mb格式。
  • ¥20 ML307A在使用AT命令连接EMQX平台的MQTT时被拒绝
  • ¥20 腾讯企业邮箱邮件可以恢复么
  • ¥15 有人知道怎么将自己的迁移策略布到edgecloudsim上使用吗?
  • ¥15 错误 LNK2001 无法解析的外部符号
  • ¥50 安装pyaudiokits失败