douhan9619 2019-05-09 11:30
浏览 182
已采纳

通过简单地从头开始在容器中设置随机UID来创建非root用户的工作原理是什么?

I'm setting up a Golang server with Docker and I want an unprivileged user to launch it inside its container for safety.

Here is the simple Dockerfile I use. I import my binary in the container and set a random UID.

FROM scratch
WORKDIR /app
COPY --chown=1001:1001 my-app-binary my-app-binary
USER 1001
CMD ["/app/my-app-binary"]

If my server listens to port 443, It doesn't work since it requires privileged rights. So my app is running by an unprivileged user as intended.

Nonetheless User 1001 was not properly created. The tutorials I saw tell me to create the user in an intermediate 'builder' container (alpine for instance) and import /etc/passwd from it. I didn't find any example doing what I do. (here one tutorial I followed)

Can someone explains to me why my solution works or what I didn't understand?

• 写回答

1条回答 默认 最新

• douzhe2981 2019-05-09 14:01
    关注

DISCLOSURE: In my answer I've used quotes from this blog post. I'm neither the author of this post nor in any way related to the author.

It's expected - containers can run under a user that is not known to the container. Quoting docker run docs:

root (id = 0) is the default user within a container. The image developer can create additional users. Those users are accessible by name. When passing a numeric ID, the user does not have to exist in the container.

-- https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/#user

It helps you resolve issues like this:

Sometimes, when we run builds in Docker containers, the build creates files in a folder that’s mounted into the container from the host (e.g. the source code directory). This can cause us pain, because those files will be owned by the root user. When an ordinary user tries to clean those files up when preparing for the next build (for example by using git clean), they get an error and our build fails.

-- https://medium.com/redbubble/running-a-docker-container-as-a-non-root-user-7d2e00f8ee15#7d3a

And it's possible because:

Fortunately, docker run gives us a way to do this: the --user parameter. We're going to use it to specify the user ID (UID) and group ID (GID) that Docker should use. This works because Docker containers all share the same kernel, and therefore the same list of UIDs and GIDs, even if the associated usernames are not known to the containers (more on that later).

-- https://medium.com/redbubble/running-a-docker-container-as-a-non-root-user-7d2e00f8ee15#b430

The above applies to USER dockerfile command as well.

Using a UID not known to the container has some gotchas:

Your user will be $HOME-less

What we’re actually doing here is asking our Docker container to do things using the ID of a user it knows nothing about, and that creates some complications. Namely, it means that the user is missing some of the things we’ve learned to simply expect users to have — things like a home directory. This can be troublesome, because it means that all the things that live in $HOME — temporary files, application settings, package caches — now have nowhere to live. The containerised process just has no way to know where to put them.

This can impact us when we’re trying to do user-specific things. We found that it caused problems using gem install (though using Bundler is OK), or running code that relies on ENV['HOME']. So it may mean that you need to make some adjustments if you do either of those things.

Your user will be nameless, too

It also turns out that we can’t easily share usernames between a Docker host and its containers. That’s why we can’t just use docker run --user=$(whoami) — the container doesn't know about your username. It can only find out about your user by its UID.

That means that when you run whoami inside your container, you'll get a result like I have no name!. That's entertaining, but if your code relies on knowing your username, you might get some confusing results.

-- https://medium.com/redbubble/running-a-docker-container-as-a-non-root-user-7d2e00f8ee15#e295

本回答被题主选为最佳回答 , 对您是否有帮助呢?
    评论

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥50 有数据,怎么建立模型求影响全要素生产率的因素
  • ¥50 有数据,怎么用matlab求全要素生产率
  • ¥15 TI的insta-spin例程
  • ¥15 完成下列问题完成下列问题
  • ¥15 C#算法问题, 不知道怎么处理这个数据的转换
  • ¥15 YoloV5 第三方库的版本对照问题
  • ¥15 请完成下列相关问题!
  • ¥15 drone 推送镜像时候 purge: true 推送完毕后没有删除对应的镜像,手动拷贝到服务器执行结果正确在样才能让指令自动执行成功删除对应镜像,如何解决?
  • ¥15 求daily translation(DT)偏差订正方法的代码
  • ¥15 js调用html页面需要隐藏某个按钮