weixin_39654751
2020-11-26 22:27 阅读 0

mu4e: extend "reply to all/sender only" with "reply to mailing list"

At the moment it isn't possible to reply solely to a mailing list with mu4e. I can only reply to all and remove the non-mailing list addresses manually.

This PR adds a third mode: "reply to list". It will use the List-Post header if present; otherwise it'll use the first address in the To header (this is a bit of a heuristic as well as a way to make "reply to list" always do something).

该提问来源于开源项目:djcb/mu

• 点赞
  • 写回答
  • 关注问题
  • 收藏
  • 复制链接分享

12条回答 默认 最新

• weixin_39524741 weixin_39524741 2020-11-26 22:27

Hmm, I simply use R (and 'sender only') which seems to work fine for all the mailing-lists I'm using. Doesn't that work for you?

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39654751 weixin_39654751 2020-11-26 22:27

No, it doesn't, at least not for lists who don't set Reply-To to the list's address. Let'stake the IETF's CELLAR list (standard mailman). From is the original sender's address (not the mailing list address), To is the mailing list address, Reply-To isn't set, List-Post is set. In that case:

• "sender only" uses what's in From, meaning the person who sent the mail
    • "all" uses the original From (the person) as the new To and the original To (the list address) becomes the new Cc requiring me to remove the new To and move the new Cc to the new To.

I don't have a list around that sets Reply-To to the list's address in order to test how that works. I really want an option that implements "definitely send to the list, no matter who else is copied and no matter how the list is configured" as this minimizes the mental work I have to do. I don't have to think about "does this list set Reply-To and would I therefore get away with 'reply to sender'", and I don't have to use "reply to all" with the additional manual steps of removing the additional person addresses and moving the list address from Cc to To.

I've been using these functions for well over a year now. I just thought others might be happy to have such functionality as it was requested over on Reddit.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

I think the it would be better to set reply-to to the mailing-list address then, for such messages. The patch seems to do some manual re-parsing in mu4e-draft; that's not really something I want to do.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

I think the it would be better to set reply-to to the mailing-list address then, for such messages.

Uhm, the Reply-To header is not under my control as a recipient of the mailing list message. This function is about enabling the user to do whatever she thinks fits best no matter how other people have configured their software (mailing list software, email client).

The patch seems to do some manual re-parsing in mu4e-draft; that's not really something I want to do.

Fair enough. The only reason I did that is that there didn't seem to be any other way to get the List-Post header as it isn't part of the origmsg structure. If you have a better idea how to pass the header around, I can look into implementing it.

Look, I won't be offended if you don't want to incorporate such a function. It's just something that a lot of other power-user mail clients (mutt, Thunderbird, kmail) have had for ages and that some people really expect to be there.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

What I meant is that perhaps mu should set the reply-to flag to the mailing-list address for such messages; then mu4e would DTRT in a more cases.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

Do you have an example message that's not handled correctly at the moment?

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

Do you have an example message that's not handled correctly at the moment?

Sure, here you go.

With that message reply to "all" puts Steve Lhomms address into To and the list's address into Cc. With reply to "sender only" it puts Steve's address into To and nothing into Cc. What I often want is to only reply to the list (lists's address in To, nothing in Cc), and current mu4e simply doesn't offer a way to do that safe for replying to "all" and manually fixing the headers — which is annoying and error-prone.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

I've changed it so that mu sets the reply-to for such messages; they now behave just like any other mailing-list replies.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39857876 weixin_39857876 2020-11-26 22:27

The issue with mailing lists that set the Reply-To header, as well as mu4e doing the same, is that it may become impossible to respond to the sender of the email. Reply-To exists to allow the sender to specify an address that is different from the one used in From. If we overwrite the header, we lose information.

See https://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html for more opinions on mailing lists and Reply-To.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_40007548 weixin_40007548 2020-11-26 22:27

I've changed it so that mu sets the reply-to for such messages; they now behave just like any other mailing-list replies.

I think i am suffering from this too (mu 1.2.0): I cannot reply to the sender only anymore. the fake reply-to header sneaks in and now i accidentally replied to the whole list several times! please change this or at least tell me in the ui choice labels..

i would like a 3 choices solution very much :-)

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39614060 weixin_39614060 2020-11-26 22:27

This change breaks a standard usage of mailing lists. For example, you can have mailing lists within an organization where only a few people are subscribed (say, a committee). Other people inside or outside the organization email the list to get in touch with the committee. When members of the committee respond, they want to respond to the original inquiry while still CC'ing the list to keep a record of the discussion.

As an example, this breaks standard usage of report-emacs-bug from the perspective of the Emacs developers (I am not an Emacs dev). It is assumed that the Emacs user reporting the bug is not subscribed to bug-gnu-emacs.org, yet the user would expect to receive replies from the subscribers of the list receiving the report (namely, from the devs who would handle the bug report). If an Emacs dev is using mu4e to reply to the bug report, say to ask for more info, they would have to manually copy the original reporter's email address and paste it into their reply's To: field while moving the list to the Cc: field. This is massively inconvenient.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

I've update the implementation to do some special-handling for mailing-lists; this is somewhat inspired by the PR here (thanks for that!) but quite different as well. Anyway, it should hopefully now work to anyone's satisfaction; feel free to leave any comments in #1459.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

相关推荐