weixin_39588252
weixin_39588252
2020-11-28 03:27

Long press on Toolbar for "Go to subreddit"

Upon long pressing on the toolbar--it will display an EditText field that lets the user enter a subreddit name and upon submission, it will take you to the subreddit the user specified.

TODO - [x] ~~Some sort of popup below the toolbar that would hold suggestions like it currently does in the drawer (implement SideArrayAdapter or something of the like?)~~ - [x] ~~Make this a setting~~ - [x] ~~Remove code from the drawer in regards to search when this setting is enabled~~

It's done! Complete with animations and suggestions. Turned out a lot better than I had in my mind. Give it a try, let me know what you think.

该提问来源于开源项目:ccrama/Slide

• 点赞
  • 写回答
  • 关注问题
  • 收藏
  • 复制链接分享
  • 邀请回答

12条回答

• weixin_39885383 weixin_39885383 5月前

Yeah that comes under the "option for everything", adds more complexity to the code etc, there is a tendency for open source apps to get a rediculous amount of settings

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39633954 weixin_39633954 5月前

I would rather implement it fully or not at all. Making everything optional isn't always the best idea.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39830205 weixin_39830205 5月前

This is actually very cool and very well done! As always, great work and happy to release this!

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

One small issue I've noticed is the sub bar still exists in guest mode, might be related to Authentication.isLoggedIn being false?

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39588252 weixin_39588252 5月前

Oh you know, it's probably because I only messed with "drawer logged in". I'm surprised this wouldn't crash it due to the resources never bring found. I'll fix it this evening. :)

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

Actually it did crash but I fixed the crashing in one of my commits, haha. Couldn't quite figure this one out though, so thank you :)

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

I really like this idea, but don't think it is intuitive enough to totally replace the sidebar search. It would work for users who don't use the sidebar anyway, but the sidebar has become the basis of navigation for the app and it would be confusing to change this action so late in development imo.

I can do the suggestions in the toolbar if you make it an AuroCompleteTextView (basically the same code in Submit.java). Also there is no longer a tutorial so that's not necessary any more :)

Thank you!

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

I understand. I'll make it a setting then! Won't have much time to work on it until after Finals, but i'll get around to it. As of now--this works at a basic level (no autocomplete obv).

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

Seems overly complex to add a separate UI for something so close to an already existing thing, I guess this is a suggestion from relay users since that's how they do it? Perhaps just have it open the drawer and focus the existing search field (same concept as how chrome tries to train the user that you can type queries and stuff straight into their omnibar)

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

I had no idea Relay does it like this.

I saw someone suggest this on the subreddit. I liked the idea and figured it made more sense to get it out of the way, considering I rarely ever use the "Go to" functionality anyways; I'd rather have a cleaner drawer. :P Give it a whirl though. It's pretty neat and works well. :)

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

I can appreciate that some people would like it, personally I don't like having to reach that far up.

But regardless I thoroughly believe it's best to stick to one pattern and do it well rather than adding multiple ways to do the same thing and options for everything, less you risk becoming confusing and/or a jack of all trades

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

I'm making this is a setting, don't worry.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

相关推荐