weixin_39977886
weixin_39977886
2020-11-30 13:24

Does not start on MacOS with virtualbox

Porting minishift https://github.com/openshift/origin/issues/20088 issue from origin to here.

( Wrote)

Hi

minishift start
    -- Starting profile 'minishift'
    -- Check if depereccated options are used ... OK
    -- Checking if https://github.com is reachable ... OK
    -- Checking if requested OpenShift version 'v3.9.0' is valid ... OK
    -- Checking if requested OpenShift version 'v3.9.0' is supported ... OK
    -- Checking if requested hypervisor 'virtualbox' is supported on this platform ... OK
    -- Checking if VirtualBox is installed ... OK
    -- Checking the ISO URL ... OK
    -- Checking if provided oc flags are supported ... OK
    -- Starting local OpenShift cluster using 'virtualbox' hypervisor ...
    -- Starting Minishift VM ......... FAIL E0624 15:16:07.834406 6082 start.go:407] Error starting the VM: Error starting stopped host: Error setting up host only network on machine start: The host-only adapter we just created is not visible. This is a well known VirtualBox bug. You might want to uninstall it and reinstall at least version 5.0.12 that is is supposed to fix this issue. Retrying.
    Error starting the VM: Error starting stopped host: Error setting up host only network on machine start: The host-only adapter we just created is not visible. This is a well known VirtualBox bug. You might want to uninstall it and reinstall at least version 5.0.12 that is is supposed to fix this issue

but the virtualbox version is :

VBoxManage --version
    5.2.12r122591

该提问来源于开源项目:minishift/minishift

• 点赞
  • 写回答
  • 关注问题
  • 收藏
  • 复制链接分享
  • 邀请回答

17条回答

• weixin_39942995 weixin_39942995 5月前

this is a well-known issue for which vbox provides tools to restore the networking setup. this might be possible to dscribe as part of our faq or troubleshooting.

the rror itself from docker machine describes the possible workaround

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 8:20 PM, Praveen Kumar wrote:

Porting minishift openshift/origin#20088 https://github.com/openshift/origin/issues/20088 issue from origin to here.

( https://github.com/sekaijin Wrote)

Hi

minishift start
    -- Checking if requested hypervisor 'virtualbox' is supported on this platform ... OK
    -- Starting Minishift VM ......... FAIL E0624 15:16:07.834406 6082 start.go:407] Error starting the VM: Error starting stopped host: Error setting up host only network on machine start: The host-only adapter we just created is not visible. This is a well known VirtualBox bug. You might want to uninstall it and reinstall at least version 5.0.12 that is is supposed to fix this issue. Retrying.
    Error starting the VM: Error starting stopped host: Error setting up host only network on machine start: The host-only adapter we just created is not visible. This is a well known VirtualBox bug. You might want to uninstall it and reinstall at least version 5.0.12 that is is supposed to fix this issue

but the virtualbox version is :

VBoxManage --version
    5.2.12r122591

— You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread. Reply to this email directly, view it on GitHub https://github.com/minishift/minishift/issues/2499, or mute the thread https://github.com/notifications/unsubscribe-auth/AAAHZpzwQzuXNUnMh5YnWoK3-7EcmUMFks5uANWXgaJpZM4U2C4a .

--

Gerard Braad | http://gbraad.nl [ Doing Open Source Matters ]

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39957951 weixin_39957951 5月前

Hello All.

RE:

this is a well-known issue for which vbox provides tools to restore the networking setup

If someone could please provide me info on where this is documented and the correct networking setup (or a URL where I can get this info) that we need to use to rectify this issue and fix our minishift env's, that would be very helpful.

Our minishift environments are broken on Monday AM--when they were working fine late last week. We have automated scripts which deploy and tear down minishift for local testing and deploys, and I thought that I ran thru several complete successful minishift deploys and tear downs on Friday (surely on Thursday if not Friday) without incident. But now on Monday AM, it appears as thought something has changed and we cannot start minishift. It is not clear to me what would have caused this, as no changes were made that I'm aware of.

I'm now looking at the vbox doc: But, since there were no changes (that I'm aware of), it's not clear what settings need to be in place for minishift networking to be "correctly configured."

I've tried deleting and reinstalling both minishift and vbox.

This problem is present for me with both the following minishift versions

minishift v1.19.0+1750702
    minishift v1.18.0+756b128

Using the latest vbox version

VBoxManage --version
    5.2.12r122591

Deleted minishift, virtualbox, meta/data, etc.

minishift delete
    rm -fr ~/.minishift/
    # ref: https://superuser.com/questions/1262146/how-can-i-reset-all-preferences-in-virtualbox
    rm -fr  $HOME/Library/VirtualBox

Full failure out from our automated scripts

-- Downloading OpenShift binary 'oc' version 'v3.9.0'
     40.58 MiB / 40.58 MiB [=======================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================] 100.00% 0s-- Downloading OpenShift v3.9.0 checksums ... OK
    -- Minishift VM will be configured with ...
       Memory:    4 GB
       vCPUs :    4
       Disk size: 30 GB

Downloading ISO 'https://github.com/minishift/minishift-centos-iso/releases/download/v1.10.0/minishift-centos7.iso'
     344.00 MiB / 344.00 MiB [=====================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================] 100.00% 0s
    -- Starting Minishift VM ................................. FAIL E0625 12:22:38.935802    8650 start.go:407] Error starting the VM: Error creating the VM. Error creating machine: Error checking the host: Error checking and/or regenerating the certs: There was an error validating certificates for host "192.168.99.100:2376": dial tcp 192.168.99.100:2376: i/o timeout
    You can attempt to regenerate them using 'docker-machine regenerate-certs [name]'.
    Be advised that this will trigger a Docker daemon restart which might stop running containers.
    . Retrying.
    Error starting the VM: Error creating the VM. Error creating machine: Error checking the host: Error checking and/or regenerating the certs: There was an error validating certificates for host "192.168.99.100:2376": dial tcp 192.168.99.100:2376: i/o timeout
    You can attempt to regenerate them using 'docker-machine regenerate-certs [name]'.
    Be advised that this will trigger a Docker daemon restart which might stop running containers.

error: dial tcp 192.168.99.100:8443: i/o timeout - verify you have provided the correct host and port and that the server is currently running.
    Unable to connect to the server: dial tcp 192.168.99.100:8443: i/o timeout

Thank you

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

The issue you are facing are unrelated to the filed issue. You have a changed IP address for the VM; this happens between restarts and an expiring DHCP lease. Your only solution at the moment is to delete the VM and do a restart. However, for future use, we can prevent it by doing minishift start followed by a minishift ip --set-static (yes I know, but from the ouptut I can only conclude a restart).

Can you also provide a more detailed ouptut with minishift start --show-libmachine-logs -v5 ?

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

"correctly configured."

standard setup of VirtualBox using a NAT and Host-Only setup. This would be provided on by the VirtualBox installer.

BTW, do you move between wired and wireless?

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39976166 weixin_39976166 5月前

Unable to reproduce the issue on macOS using the same combination of

minishift v1.19.0+1750702
    and
    VitrualBox 5.2.12r122591
    点赞 评论 复制链接分享

it is a combination of stuff happening here. OOTB it is likely good, especially as he reports

they were working fine late last week.

It looks like an issue with an update on the OS maybe, or a fault in the vbox setup. Since writes:

automated scripts

I think this is also on ephemeral or otherwise short-lived nodes (or installs) or test deployments (CI?). I can not with guarantee say which underlying OS is used, but I suspect Windows.

More info would be appreciated, especially to know if filed the issue for the aforementioned problems from Chris.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

Interestingly the only combination that works for me now is the xhyve driver with VPN client disconnected. When trying to use the virtualbox driver--no matter if the VPN is active/disabled it fails.

The issue with VPN is described in our troubleshooting. This is related to some of the clinets to setup an catch-all route 0/0 to force all traffic throught he VPN. However, this does not explain why the combination with vbox doesn't work.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

as noted #598 I came across this as a fix/workaround for this problem last year: https://github.com/ahilbig/docker-machine-ipconfig and tried using it as directed but didn't seem to matter.

Do not use this... please make sure you have a recent ISO and use `minishift ip --set-static- instead.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

#minishift config set vm-driver xhyve minishift config set vm-driver virtualbox

Be aware that it is not recommended to have both xhyve AND VirtualBox on the same machine, especially when one of them already runs a VM.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

ProductName:  Mac OS X
    ProductVersion: 10.11.6
    BuildVersion: 15G21013

Also, did you run a recent update for macOS? Is this also one machine or reproducible on others?

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

Update: Just tested using openshift version v3.9.0 and now this version is also working for me again with virtualbox, VPN active, etc. as well.
    With that said, it is not clear why v3.9.0 is working again now though. I had completely wiped all vbox, xhyve, minishift binaries, drivers, metadata, rebooted, etc. a few times previously (including having only xhyve drivers installed with no vbox and vice versa) and still had the issues noted in previous posts. Thanks for your assistance.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

It might have been a combination of several things... I looked like the networking was not stable (MAC leases expiring, or missing the right setup or even conflicting with other hypervisors). Keep an eye on it... if it happens again, add info to this issue or open a new one.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39977886 weixin_39977886 5月前

for you is it still the issue or resolved?

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39897070 weixin_39897070 5月前

no i've tried the solutions proposed by
    but that does not solve the problem. the VM does not start `agoya:minishift-1.19.0-darwin-amd64 jeanyves$ minishift delete -f ; rm -fr $HOME/.minishift Deleting the Minishift VM... Minishift VM deleted. Nagoya:minishift-1.19.0-darwin-amd64 jeanyves$ minishift config set openshift-version v3.7.2 Nagoya:minishift-1.19.0-darwin-amd64 jeanyves$ minishift config set disk-size 30G No Minishift instance exists. New 'disk-size' setting will be applied on next 'minishift start' Nagoya:minishift-1.19.0-darwin-amd64 jeanyves$ minishift config set vm-driver virtualbox No Minishift instance exists. New 'vm-driver' setting will be applied on next 'minishift start' Nagoya:minishift-1.19.0-darwin-amd64 jeanyves$ minishift config set cpus 4 No Minishift instance exists. New 'cpus' setting will be applied on next 'minishift start' Nagoya:minishift-1.19.0-darwin-amd64 jeanyves$ minishift config set memory 4G No Minishift instance exists. New 'memory' setting will be applied on next 'minishift start' Nagoya:minishift-1.19.0-darwin-amd64 jeanyves$ minishift start -- Starting profile 'minishift' -- Check if depereccated options are used ... OK -- Checking if https://github.com is reachable ... OK -- Checking if requested OpenShift version 'v3.7.2' is valid ... OK -- Checking if requested OpenShift version 'v3.7.2' is supported ... OK -- Checking if requested hypervisor 'virtualbox' is supported on this platform ... OK -- Checking if VirtualBox is installed ... OK -- Checking the ISO URL ... OK -- Downloading OpenShift binary 'oc' version 'v3.7.2' 38.18 MiB / 38.18 MiB [=======================================================================================================================] 100.00% 0s-- Downloading OpenShift v3.7.2 checksums ... OK -- Checking if provided oc flags are supported ... OK -- Starting local OpenShift cluster using 'virtualbox' hypervisor ... -- Minishift VM will be configured with ... Memory: 4 GB vCPUs : 4 Disk size: 30 GB

Downloading ISO 'https://github.com/minishift/minishift-centos-iso/releases/download/v1.10.0/minishift-centos7.iso' 344.00 MiB / 344.00 MiB [=====================================================================================================================] 100.00% 0s -- Starting Minishift VM ............................. FAIL E0701 14:26:21.786683 3147 start.go:407] Error starting the VM: Error creating the VM. Error creating machine: Error in driver during machine creation: Error setting up host only network on machine start: The host-only adapter we just created is not visible. This is a well known VirtualBox bug. You might want to uninstall it and reinstall at least version 5.0.12 that is is supposed to fix this issue. Retrying. Error starting the VM: Error creating the VM. Error creating machine: Error in driver during machine creation: Error setting up host only network on machine start: The host-only adapter we just created is not visible. This is a well known VirtualBox bug. You might want to uninstall it and reinstall at least version 5.0.12 that is is supposed to fix this issue`

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

Try restoring the host-only networking setup. Either by the network setup tool, or an un-install, re-install. (un-install is needed and can be performed from the disk image).

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

FWIW, I did a lot of things that sadly I can't recall ATM. There was also a file on my MAC /var/db/dhcpd_leases that I wiped when I was having issues with vbox--and think that one is in the docs--note that my errors were different than yours tho.

One thing I did for other team members was create this script to cleans / wipes existing vbox cruft and switches over to use xhyve if on MACOS/OSX. You would want to uninstall vbox first and then run this. If you want to switch back to vbox, just reinstall the package and AIR you should be good to go.

Hope this helps:

Disclaimer: Use at your own risk make sure you backup any important data first as always, etc.

#!/usr/bin/env bash

# wipe vbox setup xhyve on macos
    echo 'Note:'
    echo 'currently we are using the virtualbox drivers, but you could use xhyve if you wish to support yourself.'
    echo 'There have been issues previously which forced me to use xhyve which is why this scrip exists.'
    echo ''
    echo 'Comment the below 'exit' line out if you really want to wipe this stuff and go the xhyve route. . .'
    echo ''
    echo 'If you are running linux you know what to do and consult minishift getting started for linux doc pages online'
    exit 1

set -x
    echo "delete current minishift cluster and $HOME/.minishift dir"
    minishift delete -f; rm -fr ~/.minishift

echo "delete all virtualbox data"
    rm -fr "/usr/local/bin/VBoxManage"
    rm -fr "$HOME/Library/VirtualBox"

rm -fr "$HOME/Library/Preferences/org.VirtualBox.app.VirtualBox.plist"

rm -fr "$HOME/Library/Saved Application State/org.virtualbox.app.VirtualBox.savedState"
    rm -fr "$HOME/Library/Saved Application State/org.virtualbox.app.VirtualBoxVM.savedState"

rm -fr "$HOME/Library/LaunchAgents/org.virtualbox.vboxwebsrv.plist"

echo 'reinstall docker-machine-driver-xhyve'
    brew reinstall docker-machine-driver-xhyve
    sudo chown root:wheel $(brew --prefix)/opt/docker-machine-driver-xhyve/bin/docker-machine-driver-xhyve
    sudo chmod u+s $(brew --prefix)/opt/docker-machine-driver-xhyve/bin/docker-machine-driver-xhyve
    set +x

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39875842 weixin_39875842 5月前

This issue has been automatically marked as stale because it has not had recent activity. It will be closed if no further activity occurs. Thank you for your contributions.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

相关推荐