weixin_39587113
weixin_39587113
2020-11-30 16:04

chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl: use reprint note if exists, cf. BibLaTeX 2.2.2 & CMoS 14.114

Expected Behavior

There should be a variable in chicago-fullnote-bibliography that inserts a user-generated reprint note.

Actual Behavior

The CSL only writes "Reprint" or "rept." in certain special circumstances.

Discussion

Chicago Manual of Style (17th ed., CMoS) 14.114 allows free-text reprint descriptions, e.g.

Emerson, Ralph Waldo. Nature. 1836. Facsimile of the first edition, with an introduction by Jaroslav Pelikan. Boston: Beacon Press, 1985. (bold mine, p. 807)

or

Fitzgerald, F. Scott. The Great Gatsby. New York: Scribner, 1925. Reprinted with preface and notes by Matthew J. Bruccoli. New York: Collier Books, 1992. [...] (bold mine, p. 807)

While the CSL standard suggests "note" is for commentary:

(short) inline note giving additional item details (e.g. a concise summary or commentary) link

The tradition inherited from BibLaTeX (and the crosswalks to CSL JSON) suggests that it's for:

Miscellaneous bibliographic data which does not fit into any other field. The note field may be used to record bibliographic data in a free format. Publication facts such as “Reprint of the edition London 1831” are typical candidates for the note field. (Manual, 2.2.2) link

I propose that we are to understand "a concise summary or commentary" as relating to the reprint preparation, thus restoring functionality present already in BibLaTeX.

In any case, I've edited my files locally, which solves my problem, but I thought someone else might find this useful too.

Potential Side Effects

Zotero calls this variable "Extra" in its interface. It too exports it to BibLaTeX "note", which suggests that the original purpose was enhanced publication info, but people could have used it in various weird ways that are as unpredictable as what "extra" might mean.

Respectfully submitted, open to tweaks/discussion/whatever

该提问来源于开源项目:citation-style-language/styles

• 点赞
  • 写回答
  • 关注问题
  • 收藏
  • 复制链接分享
  • 邀请回答

5条回答

• weixin_39909001 weixin_39909001 5月前

Awesome! You just created a pull request to the Citation Styles Language styles repository. One of our human volunteers will try to get in touch soon (usually within a week). In the meantime, I will run some automated checks. You should be notified of the results in a few minutes.

If you haven't done so yet, please make sure your style validates and follows all our other Style Requirements.

To update this pull request, visit the "Files changed" tab above, click on the ellipsis button in the top-right corner of your style, and then select "Edit file" to start editing:

If you have any questions, please leave a comment and we'll get back to you. While we usually respond in English, feel free to write in whatever language you're most comfortable.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39909001 weixin_39909001 5月前

:smiley: Your submission passed all our automated tests.

Below are some sample citations generated based on your proposed changes:

chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl (modified style; unchanged output for sample items) Bob Hancké, Martin Rhodes, and Mark Thatcher, eds., Beyond Varieties of Capitalism: Conflict, Contradiction, and Complementarities in the European Economy (Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2007); “CSL Search by Example,” Citation Style Editor, 2012, http://editor.citationstyles.org/searchByExample/.
    Isabela Mares, “Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How Does Social Policy Matter to Employers?,” in Varieties of Capitalism. The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage, ed. Peter A. Hall and David Soskice (New York: Oxford University Press, 2001), 184–213; Martin Fenner et al., “A Data Citation Roadmap for Scholarly Data Repositories,” Scientific Data 6, no. 1 (April 10, 2019): 28, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-019-0031-8.
    Citation Style Editor. “CSL Search by Example,” 2012. http://editor.citationstyles.org/searchByExample/.
    Fenner, Martin, Mercè Crosas, Jeffrey S. Grethe, David Kennedy, Henning Hermjakob, Phillippe Rocca-Serra, Gustavo Durand, et al. “A Data Citation Roadmap for Scholarly Data Repositories.” Scientific Data 6, no. 1 (April 10, 2019): 28. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-019-0031-8.
    Hancké, Bob, Martin Rhodes, and Mark Thatcher, eds. Beyond Varieties of Capitalism: Conflict, Contradiction, and Complementarities in the European Economy. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2007.
    Mares, Isabela. “Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How Does Social Policy Matter to Employers?” In Varieties of Capitalism. The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage, edited by Peter A. Hall and David Soskice, 184–213. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001.
    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39897758 weixin_39897758 5月前

I understand the need, but for legacy reasons we definitely can't do this using note. It would lead to thousands of users suddenly ending up with unexpected content in their Chicago footnotes (I believe Mendeley actually puts user notes into note, so it wouldn't just be Zotero users).

Not sure there is a current viable solution in CSL -- my view has always been that at some point Chicago footnotes are sufficiently ideosyncratic as to require manual editing, but I understand that's not really feasible with pandoc-type workflows.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39587113 weixin_39587113 5月前

Thanks for the quick response! I ran Mendeley and took an entry round-trip, that's deliberately a little ugly (don't judge--I wanted to see what would break ;-):

Imported:

BibTeX
    {GoldsmithAugustan,
      author =       "Oliver Goldsmith",
      title =        "An Account of the {A}ugustan {A}ge of {E}ngland",
      volume =       4,
      pages =        "283-292",
      booktitle =    "The Works of Oliver Goldsmith: With an Account of
                      His Life and Writings",
      edition =      "new ed.",
      address =      "London",
      publisher =    "J. Johnson, etc.",
      year =         1806,
      origlocation = {London},
      origdate = {1759},
      note =         "from \textit{The Bee}"
    }

Exported:

BibTeX
    {Goldsmith1806,
    address = {London},
    annote = {from The Bee},
    author = {Goldsmith, Oliver},
    booktitle = {The Works of Oliver Goldsmith: With an Account of
    His Life and Writings},
    edition = {new ed.},
    pages = {283--292},
    publisher = {J. Johnson, etc.},
    title = {{An Account of the Augustan Age of England}},
    volume = {4},
    year = {1806}
    }

The UI says that it imports BibTeX, not BibLaTeX, which seems to be happening here. BibTeX has a much vaguer definition of note, so Mendeley puts it in something better:

note Any additional information that can help the reader. The first word should be capitalized.

Also from BibTeX

annote An annotation. It is not used by the standard bibliography styles, but may be used by others that produce an annotated bibliography. Using BibTeX

So since Mendeley neither ingests nor exports BibLaTeX, but BibTeX, I don't think note fields should hit this CSL? I'm not quite sure how Mendeley uses the CSL files, but if it's converting note to annote the problem is avoided.

I think the core confusion here is a naming one: BibLaTeX isn't totally compatible with BibTeX and fails in subtle ways. CSL and Mendeley prioritize BibTeX, because there are more users there. Maybe the thing to do is clarify the relationship between CSL and BibLaTeX?

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39897758 weixin_39897758 5月前

Maybe the thing to do is clarify the relationship between CSL and BibLaTeX?

Yeah, I think you got on the wrong track on this because of pandoc's ability to read BibLaTex and use it for CSL styles (by converting it to CSL JSON internally). There is no relationship at all between CSL/CSL JSON and BibLaTeX. They are completely separate bibliography and metadata formats and the metadata component can be, with some loss, translated into each other just like any other metadata formats.

E.g. you're conversion exercise using Mendeley is completely irrelevant. What matters is the CSL JSON that Mendeley uses to generate citation styles, and that does, indeed, convert the content of "Notes" into CSL note -- so I'm sorry, but this solution won't work for CSL.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

相关推荐