weixin_39574388
2020-12-09 01:06 阅读 0

Base UI changes

This is the first of a bunch of pull requests. I have noticed that mtPaint is powerful and similar to tools such as Gimp. However the UI is confusing. Many of these pull requests should make it easy for people to transition and/or grasp mtPaint features. If anything, the cleaner look should let users notice how powerful a tool mtPaint is.

This pull makes the default image white, with a larger default brush selected. It also makes the image 24 bit so that effects, smudge tool, etc. are functional right away. Finally, the default image is larger. I thought it prudent to start off bigger so new users don't have possibly pixelated looking drawings. Besides, it's easier to crop down with Delete than to size up.

OK, off to the next pull request.

该提问来源于开源项目:wjaguar/mtPaint

• 点赞
  • 写回答
  • 关注问题
  • 收藏
  • 复制链接分享

4条回答 默认 最新

• weixin_39658716 weixin_39658716 2020-12-09 01:06

I hate to say this, but the code is lame. :( I do not tolerate lame code.

Besides, initial image size is remembered across sessions anyway, and can even be pre-configured through systemwide settings file: http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/handbook/en_GB/chap_A.html#SEC64 And the initial colors can in principle be changed through replacing the default palette.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39574388 weixin_39574388 2020-12-09 01:06

I read through that chapter before and couldn't find any documented systemwide settings that addressed default canvas bg color, etc. Now that I know that somewhere there is the possibility for such, I'll keep looking. I agree, the default, canvas bg color is a bit of a hack, because I didn't see any documentation or see other solutions in code. Would you entertain changing the default canvas bg to white, or are you against it?

Do you plan to add variety to the brushes? I just thought it odd that practically 9 brushes are duplicated 9 times each to mimic having 81 unique brushes.

Not sure why switching to higher than 256 colors and bigger dimensions is lame. In typical usage, who uses 256 colors by default? Why would anyone want to start off mtPaint and have most effects not enabled, because the default is limited to 256 colors?

Sorry for the long replies to closed pull requests. Just trying to make mtPaint better.

BTW, I think the documentation is lacking and unclear.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39658716 weixin_39658716 2020-12-09 01:06

Not sure why switching to higher than 256 colors and bigger dimensions is lame.

The implementation of it is. Starting with the very fact of not noticing the things are configurable, and continuing downhill from there. :(

Would you entertain changing the default canvas bg to white, or are you against it?

Myself, I'm certainly against it :) but making it configurable would not affect my workflow in any way, so if anyone wants a different default, it would be a trivial thing to add.

BTW, I think the documentation is lacking and unclear.

Do not hesitate to report the things in docs that feel that way to you. Documentation bugs need be fixed just the same that code bugs do - but unlike the latter, are not visible to the author. :(

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39574388 weixin_39574388 2020-12-09 01:06

Hi Mark,

First off, thanks for making a great little program. Yes,I agree with the original premise of mtPaint for pixel art, etc. In fact, I have used Puppy Linux with mtPaint for years, using mtPaint mainly for icon creation. However, when trying to transition full time from Gimp/Krita/etc., mtPaint's UI was just too foreign or difficult to accomplish common tasks. So I kept abandoning mtPaint. My conclusion was that mtPaint is like a hot rod that is lacking a coat of paint.

I looked at your mtPixy link, and it is interesting. But for now, I will focus on mtPaint development...locally. I'll probably update my git repository with a proof of concept showing how the changes I made increase my productivity and make the UI much more friendly/uniform.

BTW, I'll do some house cleaning and delete my pull requests in a bit.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

相关推荐