weixin_39644021
weixin_39644021
2021-01-05 06:10

morbo learns --sleep to set the poll period of watch

Summary

Add --sleep to morbo that will be used by lib/Mojo/Server/Morbo.pm in the sleep call, will default to the previous value of 1 second.

Motivation

If you have many watched files then morbo can sit on your CPU more than you would like, setting the sleep value to > 1 second eases this somewhat.

References

N/A

该提问来源于开源项目:mojolicious/mojo

• 点赞
  • 写回答
  • 关注问题
  • 收藏
  • 复制链接分享
  • 邀请回答

6条回答

• weixin_39676348 weixin_39676348 4月前

I'll have to give this a 👎 , since stated on IRC that this is not actually a problem for him and therefore entirely theoretic. To make an ugly implementation detail like this part of the public API there would have to a very good reason.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39996798 weixin_39996798 4月前

I don't understand the use case. I hardly ever have the "CPU hog issue", but in some projects I just create a startup script with the appropriate "-w" switches to make it watch less files. The reasoning behind this is that I get confused if it takes too long for morbo to detect the changed files.

👎 from me as well.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39644021 weixin_39644021 4月前

It's not a problem for me, but is for my colleagues, and FWIW setting the sleep period to 5s brings the cpu usage on my vm down from around 20% to less than 5%.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

I've rebased as per feedback from IRC and to remove the env variable to prevent exposing this part of the implementation.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

Bump! My colleagues say this has made a significant difference to their development environments. I've done some testing myself, changing sleep to 5s (through this change) cuts about 15% off my full test run time. It affects the host and guests like so on the proc table:

Current (sleep 1s):

%CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
      26  1.4   0:13.84 script/myapp

Host

PID    COMMAND      %CPU
    10847  VBoxHeadless 56.2

Changing sleep to 5s:

%CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
      12  1.4   0:04.26 script/myapp

Host (not much difference here, but previously this would sit at the top of the running processes, now it only appears every 5s)

PID    COMMAND      %CPU
    10847  VBoxHeadless 43.3

Repeating myself from IRC - we're not watching that many files (c. 600) and they're all in the application lib directory (lib/) and the mojo defaults (myapp/templates, myapp/lib). So we could glob some out but it wouldn't make much difference as we would then have to stop/start morbo in various cases.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39676348 weixin_39676348 4月前

Thank you, i'm afraid this pull request as it stands did not pass the vote. While i do have a feeling that some version of this could pass, i don't know exactly what that would look like.

点赞 评论 复制链接分享

相关推荐