叼花硬汉 2011-02-02 13:00 采纳率: 0%
浏览 176
已采纳

Lisp 与 Erlang 原子,Ruby 与方案符号。 它们有多大用处?

How useful is the feature of having an atom data type in a programming language?

A few programming languages have the concept of atom or symbol to represent a constant of sorts. There are a few differences among the languages I have come across (Lisp, Ruby and Erlang), but it seems to me that the general concept is the same. I am interested in programming language design, and I was wondering what value does having an atom type provide in real life. Other languages such as Python, Java, C# seem to be doing quite well without it.

I have no real experience of Lisp or Ruby (I know the syntaxes, but haven't used either in a real project). I have used Erlang enough to be used to the concept there.

转载于:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4874744/lisp-and-erlang-atoms-ruby-and-scheme-symbols-how-useful-are-they

• 写回答

13条回答 默认 最新

• perhaps? 2011-02-02 13:04
    关注

A short example that shows how the ability to manipulate symbols leads to cleaner code: (Code is in Scheme, a dialect of Lisp).

(define men '(socrates plato aristotle))

(define (man? x) 
        (contains? men x))

(define (mortal? x) 
        (man? x))

;; test

> (mortal? 'socrates)
    => #t

You can write this program using character strings or integer constants. But the symbolic version has certain advantages. A symbol is guaranteed to be unique in the system. This makes comparing two symbols as fast as comparing two pointers. This is obviously faster than comparing two strings. Using integer constants allows people to write meaningless code like:

(define SOCRATES 1)
    ;; ...

(mortal? SOCRATES)
    (mortal? -1) ;; ??

Probably a detailed answer to this question could be found in the book Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation.

本回答被题主选为最佳回答 , 对您是否有帮助呢?
    评论
查看更多回答(12条)

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥50 易语言把MYSQL数据库中的数据添加至组合框
  • ¥20 求数据集和代码#有偿答复
  • ¥15 关于下拉菜单选项关联的问题
  • ¥20 java-OJ-健康体检
  • ¥15 rs485的上拉下拉,不会对a-b<-200mv有影响吗,就是接受时,对判断逻辑0有影响吗
  • ¥15 使用phpstudy在云服务器上搭建个人网站
  • ¥15 应该如何判断含间隙的曲柄摇杆机构,轴与轴承是否发生了碰撞?