weixin_39906499
2021-01-12 00:45 阅读 1

Fix for being unable to charge UPS and use UPS-modded tools without UPS

Battery-powered UPS is now rechargeable by default. It can be charged in any recharging station, but you can't unload it anymore. The same applies for two items that are supposed to have rechargeable power cells: e-tonfa (it's stated in description) and control laptop (regular laptop has rechargeable cells in it's disassembly). However, you can't charge a plutonium-powered UPS that way.

All UPS-modded tools now could be used without UPS, making UPS mod a complete replacement for rechargeable battery mod, as it was intended.

UPS charging station is added to Humvee's box. Other mil. vehicles already have it.

Fixes #14976.

该提问来源于开源项目:CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA

  • 点赞
  • 写回答
  • 关注问题
  • 收藏
  • 复制链接分享

23条回答 默认 最新

  • weixin_39906499 weixin_39906499 2021-01-12 00:45

    Somebody PR something that gives us a rechargeable UPS option - could be a new UPS-specific mod or a new variant of the UPS item itself - and I'll mergetest it.

    -the-Zombie, here we go.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39945178 weixin_39945178 2021-01-12 00:45

    Thank you, ! I'll get on this ASAP.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39945178 weixin_39945178 2021-01-12 00:45

    The game gives no prior warning that you can't remove batteries once you load them into a UPS, so that's going to be a surprise for unwary people. Please include something in the item's description to let them know.

    Other than that, everything is fine.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39783426 weixin_39783426 2021-01-12 00:45

    :/ I still can't see the benefit of the change. Originally ups could be loaded and unloaded. Adding the rechargeable mod to a ups made it un-unloadable (probably un-loadable too, I never tried). Which was fine, it worked with minimum headaches. Change for the sake of change isn't great imo, n I would have spoken up against this one if it had been discussed. Discussion would have at least given me some idea of the perceived benefit of the change. On Jan 31, 2016 4:10 PM, "Angela Graves" notifications.com wrote:

    The game gives no prior warning that you can't remove batteries once you load them into a UPS, so that's going to be a surprise for unwary people. Please include something in the item's description to let them know.

    Other than that, everything is fine.

    — Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/15116#issuecomment-177631885 .

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39945178 weixin_39945178 2021-01-12 00:45

    A UPS-specific recharging mod would be a good fix for this whole situation; the vanilla UPS wouldn't have to change, and it would give us more options for UPS power.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39783426 weixin_39783426 2021-01-12 00:45

    This ^ . I've been struggling to articulate exactly what I objected to about the changes and that covers it nicely. We lost control of the ups with this change. The changes to the recharging mod are fine, I can live with them, but there wasn't anything wrong with the ups functionality before this change. On Jan 31, 2016 5:27 PM, "Angela Graves" notifications.com wrote:

    A UPS-specific recharging mod would be a good fix for this whole situation; the vanilla UPS wouldn't have to change, and it would give us more options for UPS power.

    — Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/15116#issuecomment-177660229 .

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39902472 weixin_39902472 2021-01-12 00:45

    I might not be following, but is the functionality you want back that the UPS can create batteries on demand as long as it's charged? If so that is precisely the thing we wanted to get rid of. The UPS isn't a box you put batteries in, it's a battery pack itself, so you should be charging and discharging it, not adding and removing batteries.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39945178 weixin_39945178 2021-01-12 00:45

    I think the gist is that folks want three varieties of UPS:

    One that you load/unload with batteries but can't recharge with a charging station. One that you load/unload with plutonium cells but can't recharge with a charging station. One that you charge with a charging station but can't load/unload otherwise.

    My suggestion: We already have the first two types. We can add a UPS-specific mod that works on the first type and turns the first type into the third type.

    Did that cover the basics, ?

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39783426 weixin_39783426 2021-01-12 00:45

    That is not what I'm asking for at all. The original way it worked was a ups without a recharge mod allowed batteries to be loaded and unloaded. With the recharge mod you could neither load or unload, it only gained charge in the recharge station. That option to operate on either batteries or car power is what was lost. If there was an exploit there I didn't know about it. Which circles right back around to things that would have been mentioned during a discussion which never took place. On Jan 31, 2016 6:34 PM, "Kevin Granade" notifications.com wrote:

    I might not be following, but is the functionality you want back that the UPS can create batteries on demand as long as it's charged? If so that is precisely the thing we wanted to get rid of. The UPS isn't a box you put batteries in, it's a battery pack itself, so you should be charging and discharging it, not adding and removing batteries.

    — Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/15116#issuecomment-177674903 .

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39906499 weixin_39906499 2021-01-12 00:45

    It's not like unloading UPS is used very often. And everybody was using them with rechargeable mod anyway, so it makes sense to make it rechargeable by default. I don't understand that "we lost control" thing at all. You still have your UPS, you can charge it with batteries without ever touching a recharging station if you want.

    Please include something in the item's description to let them know.

    Done.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39783426 weixin_39783426 2021-01-12 00:45

    yep, that covers it. I often find newer characters have more electronics than batteries to run then with. A ups that's a battery black hole would require a lot of inventory management to avoid loading it with more than you can afford to spare. A reload dialogue that let you specify how many batteries to load would mitigate this somewhat, instead of forcing you to drop all of them but the ones you wanted to load. Not ideal though. On Jan 31, 2016 6:46 PM, "MalkeX" mst3ktoo.com wrote:

    That is not what I'm asking for at all. The original way it worked was a ups without a recharge mod allowed batteries to be loaded and unloaded. With the recharge mod you could neither load or unload, it only gained charge in the recharge station. That option to operate on either batteries or car power is what was lost. If there was an exploit there I didn't know about it. Which circles right back around to things that would have been mentioned during a discussion which never took place. On Jan 31, 2016 6:34 PM, "Kevin Granade" notifications.com wrote:

    I might not be following, but is the functionality you want back that the UPS can create batteries on demand as long as it's charged? If so that is precisely the thing we wanted to get rid of. The UPS isn't a box you put batteries in, it's a battery pack itself, so you should be charging and discharging it, not adding and removing batteries.

    — Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/15116#issuecomment-177674903 .

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39783426 weixin_39783426 2021-01-12 00:45

    Who is this everyone you speak of? I agree that unloading is not an issue in mid to late game, but it comes up a lot in the first few days of my playthroughs. On Jan 31, 2016 6:51 PM, "Core0verload" notifications.com wrote:

    It's not like unloading UPS is used very often. And everybody was using them with rechargeable mod anyway, so it makes sense to make it rechargeable by default. I don't understand that "we lost control" thing at all.

    — Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/15116#issuecomment-177677599 .

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39906499 weixin_39906499 2021-01-12 00:45

    UPS spawns empty, you can't just loot it for batteries in early game. And using UPS as a power source in the first days isn't very common because you had to find an UPS, some UPS-powered tools and some batteries, with only batteries being common enough for an early survivor to get.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39783426 weixin_39783426 2021-01-12 00:45

    Rngesus smiles on us from time to time. Not common doesn't feel like a valid reason to render something impossible. Kevin cites the fact that it's a battery pack and thus should be incapable of accepting batteries. I disagree, there should be a middle ground which works with batteries. I'm on my phone so I can't look up the description, is Kevin's assertion accurate as far as the description goes? I seem to recall something about batteries. On Jan 31, 2016 7:07 PM, "Core0verload" notifications.com wrote:

    UPS spawns empty, you can't just loot it for power cells in early game. And using UPS as a power source in the first days isn't very common because you had to find an UPS, some UPS-powered tools and some batteries, with only batteries being common enough for an early survivor to get.

    — Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/15116#issuecomment-177681303 .

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39906499 weixin_39906499 2021-01-12 00:45

    This is a unified power supply, or UPS. It is a device developed jointly by military and scientific interests for use in combat and the field. The UPS is designed to power armor and some guns, but drains batteries quickly.

    This is UPS's desc.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39783426 weixin_39783426 2021-01-12 00:45

    That description is vague enough to support any interpretation. Kevin said rechargeable battery packs; I've always viewed them as reloadable power box attached to a wireless power transmitter. The wireless power transmission device was the specially developed part. I dunno. I digress.

    All I'm really asking for here is some supporting logic for the change. And your unsourced opinion that everyone is using it a certain way is not that. On Jan 31, 2016 7:55 PM, "Core0verload" notifications.com wrote:

    This is a unified power supply, or UPS. It is a device developed jointly by military and scientific interests for use in combat and the field. The UPS is designed to power armor and some guns, but drains batteries quickly.

    This is UPS's desc.

    — Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/15116#issuecomment-177697729 .

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39906499 weixin_39906499 2021-01-12 00:45

    And I thought the discussion about storage batteries balance was pointless...

    The only reason behind these changes: people were complaining a lot about UPS being non-rechargeable. I didn't even knew it was possible to make it rechargeable and that a lot of people actually used that. So I made it rechargeable. And what's the supporting logic behind your nitpicking?

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39783426 weixin_39783426 2021-01-12 00:45

    That the whole change was unnecessary precisely because it was already possible to make them rechargeable. Which is something you just pointed out that you didn't even know about. It worked before, it worked well and after you changed it, it was broken. Now your 'fix' leaves it less capable than it was before.

    I like the enhancement to the recharging station. I like combining ups and recharge mods for tools. Those are both good ideas and enhance the game. The sole thing I disagree with is the alterations to the ups BC it is now less capable than its previous incarnation.

    On a personal level, the fact that you call discussion nitpicking, get angry over said discussion AND couldn't be bothered to thoroughly research and then test your own PR bothers me.

    You changed something to make it capable of doing something it was already capable of doing. And not for the better, imo. On Jan 31, 2016 8:39 PM, "Core0verload" notifications.com wrote:

    And I thought the discussion about storage batteries balance was pointless...

    The only reason behind these changes: people were complaining a lot about UPS being non-rechargeable. I didn't even knew it was possible to make it rechargeable and that a lot of people actually used that. So I made it rechargeable. And what's the supporting logic behind your nitpicking?

    — Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/15116#issuecomment-177719637 .

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39906499 weixin_39906499 2021-01-12 00:45

    So you think that unloading is a major feature of an UPS, and removing it made UPS a lot less capable than it was before, even if it was replaced with an ability to recharge in station. I don't think so. The further discussion will be pointless.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39783426 weixin_39783426 2021-01-12 00:45

    I think you 'fixed' something that wasn't broken. You can be as dismissive as you like, but it doesn't change the FACT that you didn't know the feature you added already existed. And for the record, I never said it was a major feature, nor that it was a lot less capable, don't put words into my mouth. You still haven't given a reason for the change, btw.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39783426 weixin_39783426 2021-01-12 00:45

    http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=12053.msg266096#msg266096 This is some more of that 'pointless' discussion.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39906499 weixin_39906499 2021-01-12 00:45

    If you don't like it, feel free to open a pull that removes ["RECHARGE", "NO_UNLOAD"] from a regular UPS and adds a recipe for converting the regular UPS into a rechargeable.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享
  • weixin_39783426 weixin_39783426 2021-01-12 00:45

    So mote it be.

    点赞 评论 复制链接分享

相关推荐