doushun9875 2014-12-21 19:06
浏览 97
已采纳

使用bcrypt时应该在表中存储什么

I was going through this article and found the following format of the hash that is returned while we use bcrypt. I found that this hash is supposed to be stored in the database (in a varchar(60) format or so) and used when any user authentication is required.

format of a return value from password_hash()

My doubt is that if my database gets compromised the attacker will already be knowing the algorithm, the cost and the salt I am using which will make his job very easy. I think so because now he doesn't even need to guess the algorithm (bcrypt,SHA,MD5,etc.) he has to use to get the user's password by brute force.

Instead I feel I should be using only the last part (the part after the last $) and add the other part in my script before the matching like this

<?php

$options = array('cost' => 11);
echo password_hash("akki", PASSWORD_BCRYPT, $options)."
";
// $2y$11$mrblnrK01GWt4g55.Z8Zs.1RslouNzBqCVW826QfBEuaRaVyq96c2

?>

I can store the mrblnrK01GWt4g55.Z8Zs.1RslouNzBqCVW826QfBEuaRaVyq96c2 part in the database

To verify a user provided password against an existing hash, I can use the following function:

<?php
// Query the db to get $hash.
$hash = 'mrblnrK01GWt4g55.Z8Zs.1RslouNzBqCVW826QfBEuaRaVyq96c2';
$hash = '$2y$11$'.$hash;

if (password_verify('akki', $hash)) {
    echo 'Password is valid!';
} else {
    echo 'Invalid password.';
}
?>

I found a similar question here but it doesn't tell why showing the algorithm (and cost) is not a risk although I understand why revealing the salt is not an issue. Also the reason that this might help when I try to change my algorithm or cost doesn't seem worth the risk.

• 写回答

1条回答 默认 最新

• dshfjsh_5455 2014-12-22 03:24
    关注

why showing the algorithm (and cost) is not a risk

Because brute forcing it will still be virtually impossible. There is no meaningful increase in risk. Even knowing the algorithm and cost used it will take many many years per password.

The only thing you're doing by not storing that information is making it more difficult to upgrade the algorithm and/or increase the cost at a later date. These things need to be upgraded as things like more powerful hardware, new methods of attack, and stronger algorithms come into play.

Practical for most purposes is to keep the time it takes to compute a single hash up around 0.3-0.5 seconds.

Anything you do to make upgrading and rehashing more difficult decreases the likelihood that it will happen. This is what introduces risk.

What do you do when an effective avenue of attack surfaces against the hash function you're using?

This isn't theoretical. A lot of people were plenty happy with SHA1 until GPU-accelerated attacks showed up.

If you're storing the entire string it's trivial to run it through password_needs_rehash() when the user logs in and rehash the password as necessary.

If you've split off the algorithm and options indicators and hard coded them - how do you upgrade*? Just changing them means nobody with an old hash can log in. And you can't generate a new hash until the user logs in, so you need to maintain that mapping of algorithm+options to hashes somewhere...

Somewhere like a database.

Store the entire string.

* If you don't upgrade and instead rely on security through obscurity then an attacker only needs to determine the method you used once in order to have everything open right up. I'm not even going to consider this as an option.

本回答被题主选为最佳回答 , 对您是否有帮助呢?
    评论

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥15 slam rangenet++配置
  • ¥15 对于相关问题的求解与代码
  • ¥15 ubuntu子系统密码忘记
  • ¥15 信号傅里叶变换在matlab上遇到的小问题请求帮助
  • ¥15 保护模式-系统加载-段寄存器
  • ¥15 电脑桌面设定一个区域禁止鼠标操作
  • ¥15 求NPF226060磁芯的详细资料
  • ¥15 使用R语言marginaleffects包进行边际效应图绘制