The idea with pushing to Gitolite is to make sure Gitolite can get your id, in order to use this id with its internal authorization config file.
Using ssh is a good way to do that (since the name of the public key registered in Gitolite will be used as your id name)
- you need to make sure
_wwwuser is authorized to push to your repo
- you need to have a public/private key under
~_www/.sshto be used by your push
- you need to add the public key of
_wwwuser to gitolite keys.
The OP enovav comments that:
- On Lion Server, the
_wwwuser does not have a home folder.
- PHP looks for SSH keys in
- It is not possible by default to log in to the
_wwwuser, however this thread explains how. (
chsh -u Admin _wwwto change the shell from /bin/false).
- The steps can then be followed as above.