doudu8291 2017-02-20 02:54
浏览 135
已采纳

使用PHP sprintf打印时,PostgreSQL实型丢失整数精度

I have copied this table from Wikipedia into a PostgreSQL database. The column Cultivated land (km2) became a column of type real. Then I use the PHP command

echo rtrim(rtrim(sprintf('%.10F',$v),'0'),'.');

to display the numbers ($v) in a table (both integers and float), but some values lose precision. For instance, the value from United States, 1669302, becomes 1669300, what is strange, since I expected 10 decimal digits of precision. I thought I have lost the precision when saving into a real column, but converting the column to double precision makes the difference (02) appear again, so it was there somewhere.

I don't think I need double precision, so how can I display the real value correctly? Keep in mind that some columns have decimal places, while some others are bigint, and they also should be displayed correctly.

• 写回答

1条回答 默认 最新

• douqi1931 2017-02-22 19:13
    关注

The problem seems to originate from the way PHP returns results. The values are not returned as the corresponding data type, but rather formatted as a string using PostgreSQL default formatting. This formatting, is different for real and double precision types hence you are seeing different results when you convert the column types of your table. The reason you are seeing this specific result is that PostgreSQL guarantees 6 decimal places for real types and 15 decimal places for double precision.

Setting extra_float_digits

The manual states

Note: The extra_float_digits setting controls the number of extra significant digits included when a floating point value is converted to text for output. With the default value of 0, the output is the same on every platform supported by PostgreSQL. Increasing it will produce output that more accurately represents the stored value, but may be unportable.

Therefore, a simple solution to your problem is to increase extra_float_digits before issuing your SELECT-query:

pg_query($connection, "set extra_float_digits = 3");

Alternatively, you can also specify this change when connecting to your database by adding options to your connection string as follows:

$connection = pg_connect("host=localhost port=5432 dbname=test user=php password=pass connect_timeout=5 options='-c extra_float_digits=3'");

Another option would be to set this flag in the postgresql.conf configuration file of the PostgreSQL server if you have access to the server and want to change the option globally.

Casting the values

A different solution would be to have PostgreSQL return a different string to the PHP backend. This can be achieved by casting your columns to types with different default formatting which avoids cutting off some of the digits. In your case you could either cast to integer or double precision, i.e. instead of using

select cultivated_land from table

you could use

select cultivated_land::integer from table

or

select cultivated_land::double precision from table

Changing data types

Looking at the data you specified, I noticed that all numerical values except those columns specifying percentages contain integers, hence the usage of the integer data type is more suitable in this case. It can fit all the integer values of this table (the maximum being 149,000,000, therefore bigint is not required), requires the same storage size as real (4 bytes) and implies the default formatting of integers that you are looking for.

Update: Background on PostgreSQL-PHP interface and floating point representation

As mentioned above the way the PostgreSQL-PHP interface works is that all values sent from PostgreSQL to PHP are formatted as a string in some type-dependent way. Neither any of the pg_fetch_* functions nor pg_copy_to will provide raw values and all of these functions convert the values to strings in the same manner. As far as I am aware the current PHP interface will not provide you with anything different from a string (which, in my opinion, is not the best interface design).

The reason 18.22 is returned as 18.2199993 can be found in how PostgreSQL converts float4 to strings. You can check the code of how PostgreSQL is internally using float4out and find this relevant line that does the string-conversion:

snprintf(ascii, MAXFLOATWIDTH + 1, "%.*g", ndig, num);

num is the float4-number to be printed as a string. Note however that C will promote the float-variable to a double-variable when calling snprintf. This conversion to double precision results in the value 18.219999313354492 which is why you end up seeing 18.2199993 (you can check this here and will also find some details on floating point number representation on this site).

The takeaway message is that all your float4 values will be converted using this function and the only parameter you can influence is ndig by varying extra_float_digits, however no single value for this variable will suffice all your needs in representing the values as you want them. So as long as you keep using float4 as your data type and use the current PHP-interface to obtain the data you will run into these problems.

I therefore still recommend choosing different data types for your columns. If you think you have a requirement for decimal numbers you might want to investigate decimal data types where you can specify precision and scale as required for your application. If you would like to stick with floating point numbers I suggest rounding the values in PHP before displaying them to the user.

本回答被题主选为最佳回答 , 对您是否有帮助呢?
    评论

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥15 有赏,i卡绘世画不出
  • ¥15 如何用stata画出文献中常见的安慰剂检验图
  • ¥15 c语言链表结构体数据插入
  • ¥40 使用MATLAB解答线性代数问题
  • ¥15 COCOS的问题COCOS的问题
  • ¥15 FPGA-SRIO初始化失败
  • ¥15 MapReduce实现倒排索引失败
  • ¥15 ZABBIX6.0L连接数据库报错,如何解决?(操作系统-centos)
  • ¥15 找一位技术过硬的游戏pj程序员
  • ¥15 matlab生成电测深三层曲线模型代码