dongyu3967 2009-10-21 18:57
浏览 24

我应该允许2个字符的密码吗?

This may sound like a frivolous question, but those in the security field will get it. Should I let the user enter any number of characters as long as it's greater than 0 chars. My logic is:

1. the password is going to be hashed and salted anyway, and
  2. it's more fun for someone doing a rainbow table to NOT have any length/other guidelines, but
  3. my concern is the brute force dictionary attacks.

Am I sort of on the right track with this?

Since I'm asking the lower limit question, I might as well ask about the upper limit? Again, it's going to be hashed and salted, so db size is not an issue. Then the only issue I can think of in this case is buffers more than anything else, right?

Update For those coming late to the question

So the general consensus seems to be confirming what I initially thought, that the risk of brute force increases. However, the RT cracker's job is not going to be made that much difficult by the fact that they have no clues as to the size. It may in fact be made easier since they start with lower character tables anyway. Correct? (Not to mention the non-technical concerns that have now come up with looking over someone's shoulder, etc. which aren't as big a concern for longer password.)

So the conclusion is: even if you hash/salt the password, short passwords are still a risk

For long passwords however, I'm not sure I have a conclusive answer? Should I worry about buffer overflows, it's still a regular input field after all.

• 写回答

10条回答 默认 最新

• dshtze500055 2009-10-21 19:01
    关注

No. Ideally passwords of 8 characters including numbers and characters is good. 14 or more characters would be even better.

评论

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥15 关于#Java#的问题,如何解决?
  • ¥15 加热介质是液体,换热器壳侧导热系数和总的导热系数怎么算
  • ¥15 想问一下树莓派接上显示屏后出现如图所示画面,是什么问题导致的
  • ¥100 嵌入式系统基于PIC16F882和热敏电阻的数字温度计
  • ¥15 cmd cl 0x000007b
  • ¥20 BAPI_PR_CHANGE how to add account assignment information for service line
  • ¥500 火焰左右视图、视差(基于双目相机)
  • ¥100 set_link_state
  • ¥15 虚幻5 UE美术毛发渲染
  • ¥15 CVRP 图论 物流运输优化