duanpaxin3531 2012-01-21 12:01
浏览 100

openssl_digest vs hash vs hash_hmac? SALT和HMAC之间的区别?

I want to use SHA512 to store passwords. To do that, which of openssl_digest, hash and hash_hmac should I use and why?

What is the difference between SALT & HMAC?

I just read that HMAC is built on top of hash function.

So is SHA512+SALT+HMAC really necessary or SHA512+SALT or SHA512+HMAC?

• 写回答

3条回答 默认 最新

• dongpin1850 2012-01-21 17:16
    关注

HMAC is a specific way to use a hash algorithm (like SHA512). It's used to sign a message and you can then verify that the message is from a specific signer and has not been altered. So this isn't what you want.

A salt is used to add a bit of "randomness" to a text that should be encrypted or hashed. The point is that even if you encrypt the same text several times you'd get different results. This makes it harder to do some attacks. This is what you want: SHA512(salt+password).

For storing passwords, the most secure way I could imagine would be:

(disclaimer: I'm not very experienced with cryptography and there might be a better solution)

• Client (JavaScript code?) would generate a salt value.
    • The client then combines salt and password, and run the result through your hashing algorithm.
    • The client then transmits both salt and hash value to the server which stores it (preferably in different locations).

To verify a password, you'd then do:

• Pass the salt to the client.
    • Client combines salt and entered password, runs it through your hashing algorithm.
    • Client sends the hash value to the server.
    • Server compares the hash value with the stored hash value. If they match, it was the same password.

Of course you could transmit the password in plaintext and do the whole salting and hashing on the server, but this would weaken your solution dramatically. You should never transmit the password in plaintext.

But the "pass the salt to the client" part might be a problem. One way that I could imagine to solve this would be to somehow derive the salt from the username (easiest way: simply do lowercase(username) + password), but the problem with that would be that the salt would be predictable and thus weakening your solution a little bit. Yet, it's still way better than transmitting the "raw" hash and you wouldn't even need to store the salt as you could derive it from the username every time. Should your password DB get stolen it would still resist a rainbow table attack with this "salting with username" approach.

The problem is that a man-in-the-middle attack is still possible. If an attacker would intercept username and hash it has all the relevant infos and it wouldn't be any different than transmitting the plaintext password. So you might want to secure the connection with SSL (HTTPS).

评论

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥15 求chat4.0解答一道线性规划题,用lingo编程运行,第一问要求写出数学模型和lingo语言编程模型,第二问第三问解答就行,我的ddl要到了谁来求了
  • ¥15 Ubuntu在安装序列比对软件STAR时出现报错如何解决
  • ¥50 树莓派安卓APK系统签名
  • ¥15 maple软件,用solve求反函数出现rootof,怎么办?
  • ¥65 汇编语言除法溢出问题
  • ¥15 Visual Studio问题
  • ¥20 求一个html代码,有偿
  • ¥100 关于使用MATLAB中copularnd函数的问题
  • ¥20 在虚拟机的pycharm上
  • ¥15 jupyterthemes 设置完毕后没有效果