dongwuqi4243 2012-04-17 08:44
浏览 37
已采纳

确定请求延迟

I'm working on creating a version of Pastry natively in Go. From the design [PDF]:

It is assumed that the application provides a function that allows each Pastry node to determine the “distance” of a node with a given IP address to itself. A node with a lower distance value is assumed to be more desirable. An application is expected to implements this function depending on its choice of a proximity metric, using network services like traceroute or Internet subnet maps, and appropriate caching and approximation techniques to minimize overhead.

I'm trying to figure out what the best way to determine the "proximity" (i.e., network latency) between two EC2 instances programmatically from Go. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with low-level networking to be able to differentiate between the different types of requests I could use. Googling did not turn up any suggestions for measuring latency from Go, and general latency techniques always seem to be Linux binaries, which I'm hoping to avoid in the name of fewer dependencies. Any help?

Also, I note that the latency should be on the scale of 1ms between two EC2 instances. While I plan to use the implementation on EC2, it could hypothetically be used anywhere. Is latency generally so bad that I should expend the effort to ensure the network proximity of two nodes? Keep in mind that most Pastry requests can be served in log base 16 of the number of servers in the cluster (so for 10,000 servers, it would take approximately 3 requests, on average, to find the key being searched for). Is the latency from, for example, EC2's Asia-Pacific region to EC2's US-East region enough to justify the increased complexity and the overhead introduced by the latency checks when adding nodes?

• 写回答

1条回答 默认 最新

• doujiyun0041 2012-04-17 22:03
    关注

A common distance metric in networking is to count the number of hops (node-hops in-between) a packet needs to reach its destination. This metric was also mentioned in the text you quoted. This could give you adequate distance values even for the low-latency environment you mentioned (EC2 “local”).

For the go logic itself, one would think the net package is what you are looking for. And indeed, for latency tests (ICMP ping) you could use it to create an IP connection

conn, err := net.Dial("ip4", "127.0.0.1")

create your ICMP package structure and data, and send it. (See Wikipedia page on ICMP; IPv6 needs a different format.) Unfortunately you can’t create an ICMP connection directly, like you can with TCP and UDP, thus you will have to handle the package structure yourself.

As conn of type Conn is a Writer, you can then pass it your data, the ICMP data you defined.

In the ICMP Type field you can specify the message type. Values 8, 1 and 30 are the ones you are looking for. 8 for your echo request, the reply will be of type 1. And maybe 30 gives you some more information.

Unfortunately, for counting the network hops, you will need the IP packet header fields. This means, you will have to construct your own IP packets, which net does not seem to allow.

Checking the source of Dial(), it uses internetSocket, which is not exported/public. I’m not really sure if I’m missing something, but it seems there is no simple way to construct your own IP packets to send, with customizable header values. You’d have to further check how DialIP sends packages with internetSocket and duplicate and adapt that code/concept. Alternatively, you could use cgo and a system library to construct your own packages (this would add yet more complexity though).

If you are planning on using IPv6, you will (also) have to look into ICMPv6. Both packages have a different structure over their v4 versions.

So, I’d suggest using simple latency (timed ping) as a simple(r) implementation and then add node-hops at a later time/afterwards, if you need it. If you have both in place, maybe you also want to combine those 2 (less hops does not automatically mean better; think long overseas-cables etc).

本回答被题主选为最佳回答 , 对您是否有帮助呢?
    评论

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥15 基于卷积神经网络的声纹识别
  • ¥15 Python中的request,如何使用ssr节点,通过代理requests网页。本人在泰国,需要用大陆ip才能玩网页游戏,合法合规。
  • ¥100 为什么这个恒流源电路不能恒流?
  • ¥15 有偿求跨组件数据流路径图
  • ¥15 写一个方法checkPerson,入参实体类Person,出参布尔值
  • ¥15 我想咨询一下路面纹理三维点云数据处理的一些问题,上传的坐标文件里是怎么对无序点进行编号的,以及xy坐标在处理的时候是进行整体模型分片处理的吗
  • ¥15 CSAPPattacklab
  • ¥15 一直显示正在等待HID—ISP