七度&光 2010-01-07 20:40 采纳率: 22.2%
浏览 288
已采纳

大型 VARCHAR vs. TEXT?

I've got a messages table in MySQL which records messages between users. Apart from the typical ids and message types (all integer types) I need to save the actual message text as either VARCHAR or TEXT. I'm setting a front-end limit of 3000 characters which means the messages would never be inserted into the db as longer than this.

Is there a rationale for going with either VARCHAR(3000) or TEXT? There's something about just writing VARCHAR(3000) that feels somewhat counter-intuitive. I've been through other similar posts on Stack Overflow but would be good to get views specific to this type of common message storing.

转载于:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2023481/mysql-large-varchar-vs-text

• 写回答

6条回答 默认 最新

• 关注
    • TEXT and BLOB is stored off the table with the table just having a pointer to the location of the actual storage.

• VARCHAR is stored inline with the table. VARCHAR is faster when the size is reasonable, the tradeoff of which would be faster depends upon your data and your hardware, you'd want to benchmark a realworld scenario with your data.

Update Whether VARCHAR or TEXT is stored inline, or off-record depends on data size, columns size, row_format, and MySQL version. It does not depend on "text" vs "varchar".

本回答被题主选为最佳回答 , 对您是否有帮助呢?
    评论
查看更多回答(5条)

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥15 组策略中的计算机配置策略无法下发
  • ¥15 如何绘制动力学系统的相图
  • ¥15 对接wps接口实现获取元数据
  • ¥20 给自己本科IT专业毕业的妹m找个实习工作
  • ¥15 用友U8:向一个无法连接的网络尝试了一个套接字操作,如何解决?
  • ¥30 我的代码按理说完成了模型的搭建、训练、验证测试等工作(标签-网络|关键词-变化检测)
  • ¥50 mac mini外接显示器 画质字体模糊
  • ¥15 TLS1.2协议通信解密
  • ¥40 图书信息管理系统程序编写
  • ¥20 Qcustomplot缩小曲线形状问题