I often work with slices of structs. Here's an example for such a struct:

type MyStruct struct {
    val1, val2, val3    int
    text1, text2, text3 string
    list                []SomeType
}

So I define my slices as follows:

[]MyStruct

Let's say I have about a million elements in there and I'm working heavily with the slice:

• I append new elements often. (The total number of elements is unknown.)
  • I sort it every now and then.
  • I also delete elements (although not as much as adding new elements).
  • I read elements often and pass them around (as function arguments).
  • The content of the elements themselves doesn't get changed.

My understanding is that this leads to a lot of shuffling around of the actual struct. The alternative is to create a slice of pointers to the struct:

[]*MyStruct

Now the structs remain where they are and we only deal with pointers which I assume have a smaller footprint and will therefore make my operations faster. But now I'm giving the garbage collector a lot more work.

• Can you provide general guidelines of when to work with structs directly vs. when to work with pointers to structs?
  • Should I worry about how much work I leave to the GC?
  • Is the performance overhead of copying a struct vs. copying a pointer negligible?
  • Maybe a million elements is not much. How does all of this change when the slice gets much bigger (but still fits in RAM, of course)?
  • 写回答

2条回答 默认 最新

• dqkxo44488 2014-12-23 14:20
    关注

Can you provide general guidelines of when to work with structs directly vs. when to work with pointers to structs?

No, it depends too much on all the other factors you've already mentioned.

The only real answer is: benchmark and see. Every case is different and all the theory in the world doesn't make a difference when you've got actual timings to work with.

(That said, my intuition would be to use pointers, and possibly a sync.Pool to aid the garbage collector: http://golang.org/pkg/sync/#Pool)

评论

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥15 求lingo代码和思路
  • ¥15 公交车和无人机协同运输
  • ¥15 stm32代码移植没反应
  • ¥15 matlab基于pde算法图像修复,为什么只能对示例图像有效
  • ¥100 连续两帧图像高速减法
  • ¥15 如何绘制动力学系统的相图
  • ¥15 对接wps接口实现获取元数据
  • ¥20 给自己本科IT专业毕业的妹m找个实习工作
  • ¥15 用友U8:向一个无法连接的网络尝试了一个套接字操作,如何解决?
  • ¥30 我的代码按理说完成了模型的搭建、训练、验证测试等工作(标签-网络|关键词-变化检测)