七度&光 2012-04-19 15:20 采纳率: 22.2%
浏览 1207
已采纳

作为参数通过 const std: : string 的日子结束了吗?

I heard a recent talk by Herb Sutter who suggested that the reasons to pass std::vector and std::string by const & are largely gone. He suggested that writing a function such as the following is now preferable:

std::string do_something ( std::string inval )
{
   std::string return_val;
   // ... do stuff ...
   return return_val;
}

I understand that the return_val will be an rvalue at the point the function returns and can therefore be returned using move semantics, which are very cheap. However, inval is still much larger than the size of a reference (which is usually implemented as a pointer). This is because a std::string has various components including a pointer into the heap and a member char[] for short string optimization. So it seems to me that passing by reference is still a good idea.

Can anyone explain why Herb might have said this?

转载于:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10231349/are-the-days-of-passing-const-stdstring-as-a-parameter-over

• 写回答

11条回答

• csdnceshi62 2012-04-19 16:41
    关注

The reason Herb said what he said is because of cases like this.

Let's say I have function A which calls function B, which calls function C. And A passes a string through B and into C. A does not know or care about C; all A knows about is B. That is, C is an implementation detail of B.

Let's say that A is defined as follows:

void A()
    {
      B("value");
    }

If B and C take the string by const&, then it looks something like this:

void B(const std::string &str)
    {
      C(str);
    }

void C(const std::string &str)
    {
      //Do something with `str`. Does not store it.
    }

All well and good. You're just passing pointers around, no copying, no moving, everyone's happy. C takes a const& because it doesn't store the string. It simply uses it.

Now, I want to make one simple change: C needs to store the string somewhere.

void C(const std::string &str)
    {
      //Do something with `str`.
      m_str = str;
    }

Hello, copy constructor and potential memory allocation (ignore the Short String Optimization (SSO)). C++11's move semantics are supposed to make it possible to remove needless copy-constructing, right? And A passes a temporary; there's no reason why C should have to copy the data. It should just abscond with what was given to it.

Except it can't. Because it takes a const&.

If I change C to take its parameter by value, that just causes B to do the copy into that parameter; I gain nothing.

So if I had just passed str by value through all of the functions, relying on std::move to shuffle the data around, we wouldn't have this problem. If someone wants to hold on to it, they can. If they don't, oh well.

Is it more expensive? Yes; moving into a value is more expensive than using references. Is it less expensive than the copy? Not for small strings with SSO. Is it worth doing?

It depends on your use case. How much do you hate memory allocations?

本回答被题主选为最佳回答 , 对您是否有帮助呢?
    评论
查看更多回答(10条)

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥15 素材场景中光线烘焙后灯光失效
  • ¥15 请教一下各位,为什么我这个没有实现模拟点击
  • ¥15 执行 virtuoso 命令后,界面没有,cadence 启动不起来
  • ¥50 comfyui下连接animatediff节点生成视频质量非常差的原因
  • ¥20 有关区间dp的问题求解
  • ¥15 多电路系统共用电源的串扰问题
  • ¥15 slam rangenet++配置