dongle7553 2011-09-15 06:53
浏览 64
已采纳

虚拟机的基准测试,分析

On many different sources you can read about time keeping issues in virtual machines. As every benchmark relies on time keeping i am not sure how to interpret e.g. apache benchmark or xdebug profiler results on vmware and how credible they are.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-5581

VMware suggests to build a special vm for performance testing. There are many tips in addition which seems to be workaround solutions (install VMware Tools, special configuration and so on).

Especially when it comes to disk i/o performance issues i´m very concerned about how accurate the results are. Rasmus Lerdorf talked about it at drupalcon, saying that some of his performance improvements regarding stat calls aren´t visible in his VMware benchmarks because VMware has special disk caching you can´t compare to physical disks:

http://www.nowpublic.com/tech-biz/rasmus-lerdorf-simple-hard-drupalcon-2008-key-note

After all this I´m not sure if VMware is capable for any benchmarking at all.

• 写回答

2条回答 默认 最新

• douji5329 2011-09-18 16:10
    关注

A lot depends on what you are trying to do.

1. Just keep measurements to look for regressions
    2. Find time-drains that you can fix to improve performance

Many people think these are the same, but I think that comes from limited experience actually doing (2).

The way I do (2) is not measuring, but asking, at a few random points in time, what is happening and why. For that, it doesn't matter very much if it's on a virtual machine or not. If it's doing something sneaky that takes a large fraction of time, you will see that whether or not it's on a virtual machine. The exact fraction doesn't matter. Exposing the sneaky activity is what matters.

Here's an example in python, but you can do it in any language.

本回答被题主选为最佳回答 , 对您是否有帮助呢?
    评论
查看更多回答(1条)

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥15 素材场景中光线烘焙后灯光失效
  • ¥15 请教一下各位,为什么我这个没有实现模拟点击
  • ¥15 执行 virtuoso 命令后,界面没有,cadence 启动不起来
  • ¥50 comfyui下连接animatediff节点生成视频质量非常差的原因
  • ¥20 有关区间dp的问题求解
  • ¥15 多电路系统共用电源的串扰问题
  • ¥15 slam rangenet++配置