duang5049 2015-05-07 17:35
浏览 75

如何在Go中处理异步错误?

I am working on my first real Go project, a messaging API. I use channels to pass messages and other data between user goroutines and library goroutines that use a thread-unsafe, event-based C protocol library. For details https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton/blob/master/proton-c/bindings/go/README.md

My question is in 2 related parts:

1. What are common idioms for handling errors across channels?

The goroutine at one end blows up, how do I ensure the other end unblocks, gets an error value and doesn't get blocked again later?

For readers:

• I can close the channel, but no error info.
  • I could pass a struct { data, error }
  • or use a second channel.

Pros & cons? Other ideas?

For writers: I can't close without a panic so I guess I need a second channel. Is this idiomatic?

select {
    case sendChan <- data: sentOk()
    case err := <- errChan: oops(err)
}

I also can't write after close so I need to store the error somewhere and check before trying to write. Any other approaches?

2. Exposing channels in APIs.

I need channels to pass error info: should I make those channels public fields or hide them in methods?

There is a tradeoff, and I don't have the experience to evaluate it:

• Exposing channels lets users select directly, but it requires them to correctly impement the error handling patterns (check for errors before write, select for error as well as write). This seems complex and error-prone but maybe that because I'm not seasoned in go.

• Hiding channels in a method simplifies and enforces correct use of the library. But now an async user must create their own goroutine and channel(s). They may just duplicate what the library does already, which is silly. Also there is an extra goroutine and channel on the path. Maybe that's not a big deal, but the data channel is the critical path for my library and I think it has to be hidden along with the error channel.

I could do both: expose the channels for power users and provide a simple method wrapper for people with simple needs. That's more to support but worth it if neither alone can fit all cases.

The standard net.Conn uses blocking methods, not channels, and I wrote goroutines to pump data to my C event-loop channel so I know it can be done, but I did not find it trivial. net.Conn is wrapping sytem calls not channels underneath so "exposing the channels" is not an option. Do any of the standard libraries export channels with error handling? (time.After doesn't count, there are no errors)

Thanks a lot! Alan

• 写回答

1条回答 默认 最新

• du060334 2015-05-07 17:49
    关注

Your question is a bit on the broad side but I'll try to give some guidance based on my experience writing highly concurrent code...

Personally I think making the channel a property of the object that gets initialized in a nice helpful NewMyObject() *MyObject method is good design pattern. It makes it so code using the object doesn't have to do boiler plate set up every time it wants to call some asynchronous method the type offers.

For readers: I can close the channel, but no error info. I could pass a struct { data, error } or use a second channel. Pros & cons? Other ideas?

Let the reader signal to return by closing the abort channel. The reader should simply use the temp, err := <-FromChannel paradigm and move on with execution if the data or error channel has closed. This should prevent the 'send on closed channel' panics error from the workers since they will close their channel and return. When err != nil the reader will know to move on.

For writers: I can't close without a panic so I guess I need a second channel. Is this idiomatic?

Yes. Sadly I was quite pissed of with the uni-directional behavior of channels and though it should be abstracted. Regardless, it's not. In my code I would not define this on the object that does work asynchronously. The paradigm I prefer is to use the closing signal (since sending a on a channel is not one-to-many, only one goroutine will read that). Instead, I allocate the abort channel in the calling code and if things need to shut down you close the abort channel and all the goroutines doing asynchronous work who are listening on that channel do their clean up and return. You should also use a WaitGroup so you can wait for the goroutines to return before moving on.

So my basic summary;

1) let the caller of asynchronous methods signal it's time to stop, not the other way around. A waitgroup is better used to coordinate their returns

2) use a sync.WaitGroup in the calling code to know when your goroutines are finished so you can move on

3) allocate your error channel in the calling code and take advantage of the one-to-many signal produced by closing the channel; if you send on a channel you allocate in the caller, only a single instance will read from it. If you put one on each instance you have to iterate a collection of instances to send the on each.

4) if you have a type that provide async methods that do work in the background, set up the channels to read off of in it's initializer, document the async methods saying where to listen for data, provide an example of a non-blocking select that passes an abort channel into the async method and listens on the methods data and error channels. If you need to kill a single routine you could accomplish this by closing one of the channels it owns rather than killing them all by closing the callers abort channel.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

评论

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥15 msix packaging tool打包问题
  • ¥28 微信小程序开发页面布局没问题,真机调试的时候页面布局就乱了
  • ¥15 python的qt5界面
  • ¥15 无线电能传输系统MATLAB仿真问题
  • ¥50 如何用脚本实现输入法的热键设置
  • ¥20 我想使用一些网络协议或者部分协议也行,主要想实现类似于traceroute的一定步长内的路由拓扑功能
  • ¥30 深度学习,前后端连接
  • ¥15 孟德尔随机化结果不一致