dongma7725 2012-09-20 19:43
浏览 88
已采纳

PHP电子邮件效率(BCC与个人电子邮件)

Our web-based PHP software currently sends out a newsletter to anywhere between 1-2000 recipients. Often the newsletter has a PDF attachment (15KB-5MB). The newsletter does not need to be customized to the individual recipients.

Question: Is it better to send one e-mail that has each recipient blind carbon copied (BCC) or to generate a unique e-mail message for each recipient?

Considerations: - Which option puts less stress on the mail transfer agent? - Which option is more efficient programmatically? - Which option is less resource intensive? - Are there any limitations to either option? (e.g. BCC having a maximum number)

I've tried Google and I just can't find anyone that has a definitive opinion based on empirical evidence. It's actually hard to find anyone that has an opinion at all.

THANKS: To everyone who contributed to answering this question. Greatly appreciate the feedback from people to ensure we're doing things properly!

• 写回答

3条回答 默认 最新

• dongtan4046 2012-09-20 19:59
    关注

Generate a single email per recipient. Use the To field instead of BCC to make it personal.

Advantages

• The mail queue will accurately reflect what is happening.
    • You can distribute the load to multiple email servers.
    • You can personalize the "To" "Subject" "Body" etc.
    • You can use tracking URL's.
    • Mail servers often have a BCC limit per message. You will not hit a limit if you send a single message at a time.
    • BCC emails typically remain in the queue until all deliveries are complete. It is rare, but we have experienced (with the latest qmail) that sometimes a single recipient will respond with an error that confuses the mail server to send it again, fail, again, fail...until we remove it from the queue. This gets people very upset.

Disadvantages

• PHP script has to work harder to generate the individual requests.

There are surely other advantages and disadvantages, but that is the list I follow.

UPDATE: Regarding the PDF attachment, I would recommend providing a download link unless it is crucial to include it with the email.

• PDF attachments make an email look more suspicious to spam/virus scanners, because spam is known to try to exploit vulnerable versions of Acrobat. Those PDF attachments might make your newsletter more likely to end up in the recipient's Spam folder.
    • Large PDF's (1+mb) are not friendly to people checking their email with slow connections or constrained devices such as smartphones.
    • A link is much smaller than the attachment. You will save upwards to 13GB of bandwidth if you leave off that 5MB attachment!
    本回答被题主选为最佳回答 , 对您是否有帮助呢?
    评论
查看更多回答(2条)

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥15 这是哪个作者做的宝宝起名网站
  • ¥60 版本过低apk如何修改可以兼容新的安卓系统
  • ¥25 由IPR导致的DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE蓝屏
  • ¥50 有数据,怎么建立模型求影响全要素生产率的因素
  • ¥50 有数据,怎么用matlab求全要素生产率
  • ¥15 TI的insta-spin例程
  • ¥15 完成下列问题完成下列问题