douxitao8170 2013-01-25 06:01
浏览 61
已采纳

终极密码盐

So recently I have been doing tons of research on how to secure passwords. I believe I understand the basics of it. As such I am attempting to write my own function to secure a password in php.

But I am somewhat confused when it comes to salting a password. We create a random unique salt and append it to a password and then hash it, and finally store the unhashed salt and hashed password/salt combination together in the database. This increases the search space of the hacker if he obtains access to the database and our hashed passwords.

So this seems like complete overkill of security, but everywhere I see the salt is always appended to the front or back of the password anyways. So looking at a SINGLE user's password this unique salt doesn't affect the search space does it? Although since each user has a unique salt the overall search space of EVERY user is dramatically increased.

Wouldn't it be more secure to create an algorithm that inserts the salt to a predictable, semi-random place in the password such as the length of the username/2? For example here is the steps of my proposed securing function:

Create a random salt
take username length %(mod) password length
insert the salt at the spot determined
hash

Example run:

random salt = 12345
len("imauserwithalongname") % len("mypass") = 2
valueToHash = my12345pass

Now our cracker has no idea where to put the salt without seeing our php/source, which (correct me if I am wrong) is much harder to gain access to than the database.

Also I know security should depend on the security of the key not secrecy of the algorithm, however I see nothing wrong with adding layers based on it, as long as the entire system does not depend on secrecy of the algorithm.

EDIT: Would doing this dramatically increase the search space of a cracker?

And what if we placed the salt in a place that depended on the length of the password, would that not destroy the purpose of using dictionary attacks, even on a per user basis?

• 写回答

4条回答 默认 最新

• dtzhfb4869 2013-01-25 08:24
    关注

As such I am attempting to write my own function to secure a password in php.

Woah woah, hold it right there.

There's a saying passed down from cryptographers to us mere mortals which has held true for many many years. The saying goes like this:

Do not invent your own crypto.

Say it out loud, then say it again.

I know you're only trying to secure your passwords, but I had to get that out of the way. There are lots and lots of tried and tested methods to do what you want to achieve.

I appreciate you've done some research, but the internet is full of terrible terrible information, so I'm going to point you towards some useful articles.

A nice short list.

Here's some keywords to help you.

• Bcrypt
    • Scrypt (someone please unstrike this when PHP supports it)

Again a very short list.

To address your specific concern. Salts are not needed to be kept private, as you say they are designed to stop attackers precomputing tables of valid password/hash combinations. However if you use a weak hashing algorithm they lose their value very quickly.

Security through obscurity is not as great as it seems. If a hacker gains access to your DB, the odds are quite high that they will also gain access to your filesystem. If they gain access to your source your custom method of storing passwords is a moot point.

In summary, custom algorithm + weak hash = insecure.

Instead you want to use tried and tested key derivation functions / key strengthening algorithms.

These are designed to make the computer work really hard to generate the hash, and makes it very difficult for an attacker to brute force a password.

Bcrypt stores the salt next to the password, and is proven to be very secure. Secure enough in fact that it is currently the recommended way to hash passwords by security experts.

In PHP 5.5 a simple password hashing API has been introduced based on Bcrypt, and for versions under 5.5 there is a password hashing compatibility library that does exactly the same thing.

That should be enough for you.

本回答被题主选为最佳回答 , 对您是否有帮助呢?
    评论
查看更多回答(3条)

报告相同问题?

悬赏问题

• ¥100 角动量包络面如何用MATLAB绘制
  • ¥15 merge函数占用内存过大
  • ¥15 Revit2020下载问题
  • ¥15 使用EMD去噪处理RML2016数据集时候的原理
  • ¥15 神经网络预测均方误差很小 但是图像上看着差别太大
  • ¥15 单片机无法进入HAL_TIM_PWM_PulseFinishedCallback回调函数